Sunday, March 14, 2010

Gluten Free Waffles

OK, this posting has nothing to do with SQL Server, Data Mining or Predictive Analytics, or even Predixion.  It’s kind of a follow-up to my previous post – I’ve gotten some emails and other communiqué about my twins diet.

Every Sunday is family waffle day, and I’ve come up with a pretty good waffle recipe for the boys.  I have to make a “regular” batch for the older kids, April and myself and I make a gluten-free, casein-free batch for the boys.  Of course, I have to use a separate waffle iron to avoid contamination.

Anyway, the recipe I use is as follows:

Turn the waffle iron on to high to heat up while you prepare the ingredients.  In a medium-large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.  In a separate medium bowl, beat the egg yolks up a little bit, and then add the vanilla, rice milk, and canola oil.   Pour the wet ingredients, save the egg whites, into the dry ingredients and mix well.

Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold the egg whites into the mixture so it is mixed but all the air doesn’t escape from the egg whites.

Pour 1/3 cup of mixture onto each waffle area of the iron.  Gluten-free waffles take a bit longer to cook then their glutinous counterparts – I usually increase the time by 1 minute, which means it takes 6 minutes for a batch on our waffle iron, but your mileage may vary.

NB:  I use a PAM cooking spray to keep the waffles from sticking.  PAM and all other cooking sprays contain soy lecithin.  Typically, we avoid soy, but it seems that my boys aren’t sensitive to small amounts of soy lecithin.  If your child is sensitive, you can brush on canola oil with a pastry brush or paper towel.

Makes 10-12 waffles.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, you've got me thinking about going out and getting a waffle iron now...it's been a very
    long time since I've had waffles. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete